Does The Honda Accord Have A Heated Steering Wheel? The short answer is that some Honda Accord models do come equipped with a heated steering wheel, while others do not. Heated steering wheels first became available on the Accord in 2018, but only on higher trims like the Touring and above. Lower trims do not include the heated wheel feature. If you’re looking for an Accord with a toasty steering wheel, double check the specs and options for the particular trim level you’re interested in.
Brief History Of The Honda Accord
To better understand heated steering wheel availability in the Accord, let’s first look at a brief overview of this iconic sedan:
- 1976 – The first Honda Accord is launched, setting the stage for its future success.
- 1982 – The second-generation Accord is released, growing in size and gaining popularity.
- 1986 – The third-gen Accord debuts with a more streamlined design.
- 1989 – The Accord is completely redesigned with a modern look and feel.
- 1997 – Major changes come to the Accord including a larger body and more powerful engine options.
- 2003 – The seventh-generation Accord enters the market with multiple upgrades.
- 2008 – This marks the first year of the eighth-generation Accord.
- 2018 – Honda introduces a heated steering wheel option on Touring trims and above.
Heated Steering Wheel Availability By Generation
Now let’s take a closer look at heated steering wheel availability on specific Accord generations:
Eighth Generation (2008-2012)
The eighth-generation Accord did not offer a heated steering wheel option. This generation focused more on fuel efficiency gains and added technology features. A heated wheel would not arrive until the tenth-generation model.
Ninth Generation (2013-2017)
Once again, the ninth-generation Accord did not have an available heated steering wheel from the factory. While this generation gained more premium interior materials, the heated wheel feature was still a few years away.
Tenth Generation (2018-Present)
Here is where we finally see the heated steering wheel introduced on the Honda Accord. For the 2018 model year, the top Touring trim gained an optional heated wheel. This feature then became standard on Touring models for 2019 and beyond.
The Accord Hybrid Touring also includes the heated steering wheel feature. So in summary, on tenth-gen Accords, you can only get the heated wheel on the highest Touring and Hybrid Touring trim levels. Lower trims do not offer the option.
Using The Heated Steering Wheel
How do you operate the Accord’s heated steering wheel and maximize its benefits? Here are some usage tips:
- Locate the heated wheel button on the left side of the steering wheel.
- Press the button once to turn on High heat. Press it a second time for Low heat.
- The wheel will automatically turn off after about 30 minutes.
- Warm your hands thoroughly before turning off the heat.
- Don’t use a heated wheel when not needed to avoid battery drain.
- Ensure power mode is ON before activating the heated wheel.
So in summary, take advantage of this great feature on cold days, but use it selectively to maximize convenience without taxing your Accord’s battery.
Available Aftermarket Heated Steering Wheel Options
For those with lower Accord trims without the factory heated wheel, aftermarket options are available:
- Heated steering wheel covers – Range from $50-200 depending on brand.
- Aftermarket wheel inserts – Cost $150-500 for parts and labor.
- Independent heated wheel retrofits – Around $200-400, significant install work.
While aftermarket solutions exist, they tend to be less integrated and seamless than the factory heated wheel. But they can still deliver worthwhile improvements in winter driving comfort.
Driver Reviews Of The Heated Steering Wheel
Here’s what Honda Accord drivers have to say about the optional heated steering wheel:
“The heated steering wheel makes cold winter commutes so much better. My hands get nice and toasty within a few minutes.”
“I didn’t think I would use the heated steering wheel much, but now I turn it on every time I drive when it’s chilly out. Makes a big difference in comfort.”
“It heats up quickly and keeps my hands from freezing when I have to scrape snow and ice off my windshield.”
“I love having warm hands on my morning drive. The only downside is the heated wheel turns off automatically after a while.”
Cost Of The Heated Steering Wheel
The Honda Accord’s heated steering wheel comes as part of a package on higher trims. Here’s how much more you can expect to pay:
- 2021 Honda Accord Touring: $1200 more than lower trims
- 2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T: $1100 more than lower trims
- 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T: $1300 more than lower trims
Keep in mind that choosing a higher trim also adds many other luxury features like leather seats, navigation, premium audio, etc. But the heated steering wheel alone makes a big difference for some drivers.
Which Honda Has A Heated Steering Wheel?
The Honda Accord and Honda CR-V are two models that offer heated steering wheels. Specifically, you’ll find this feature in the Touring and upper trims of the latest model year Accord and CR-V.
Older versions typically did not have the heated steering wheel. Other Honda models like the Civic, Odyssey, and Pilot have also offered heated steering wheels in certain configurations. It’s worth checking the trim features if you’re interested in a heated steering wheel in a Honda.
What Cars Have Heated Steering Wheels?
Many luxury vehicles and higher trim level cars offer heated steering wheels these days. Some examples include the Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevy Malibu, Subaru Outback, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class, Tesla Model 3, and more.
Heated steering wheels used to be only found in high-end cars but are now much more common. Drivers in cold winter climates have found them to be a very desirable feature.
Which Honda Accord Has Heated Seats?
The higher trims of the Honda Accord typically come with heated front seats. For example, the Sport Special Edition, Touring, and Hybrid Touring models of recent model year Accords have offered heated front seats.
Some other trims may have heated seats as an option if you add a package. Heated rear seats are less common and usually only found in the top Accord trim levels if available.
Can I Add A Heated Steering Wheel?
Yes, you can add an aftermarket heated steering wheel if your car didn’t come with one. There are universal heated steering wheel covers that fit over your existing steering wheel and plug into the 12V outlet. These run from around $25-$100 and are relatively easy to install yourself following the included instructions. This is a more affordable alternative to upgrading to a higher trim just for the heated wheel.
Adding Aftermarket Heated Steering Wheel
If you don’t have a Touring trim Honda Accord, you can still add an aftermarket heated steering wheel cover. Here are some top options:
Heated Steering Wheel Cover
Zone Tech Heated Steering Wheel Cover
Gear Drive Heated Steering Wheel Cover
Wagan Soft Grip Heated Steering Wheel
These heated steering wheel covers wrap around your existing steering wheel and plug into the 12V outlet. Installation only takes about 10-15 minutes.
An aftermarket heated steering wheel gives you warmth on demand without upgrading to a more expensive Honda Accord trim.
Other Ways To Keep Hands Warm
If you don’t want to splurge on the factory heated steering wheel or aftermarket cover, there are a few other options to keep hands warm while driving:
- Use heated gloves. You can buy electric gloves that plug into the 12V outlet and heat up.
- Get a hand muff. These insulated muffs keep hands cozy while still allowing you to grip the steering wheel.
- Use steering wheel covers. Insulated covers add extra cushion and trap heat better.
- Turn on seat warmers. If your Accord has heated seats, use them to warm your hands.
- Blast the heat. Direct the vents at your hands to warm them up quickly.
Maintaining The Heated Steering Wheel
To keep your Accord’s heated steering wheel working properly:
- Wipe down the wheel regularly with a clean microfiber cloth to prevent dirt buildup.
- Avoid using chemical cleaners that could damage the heating element.
- Check for rips, tears or visible damage in the leather.
- Make sure electrical connections are secure.
- Test it out on cold days and get it checked if it’s not heating properly.
With simple care and maintenance, your Accord’s heated steering wheel can provide cozy warmth for many winter miles ahead.
Faqs About Heated Steering Wheels
Does The 2022 Honda Accord Have A Heated Steering Wheel?
The 2022 Honda Accord Touring trim comes equipped with a heated leather-wrapped steering wheel. Lower trims do not include this feature.
What Trim Levels Of Older Accords Have Heated Steering Wheels?
For model years 2018-2020, you need an upper Touring trim level Accord to get the factory heated steering wheel. It was not offered on lower trims.
How Long Does The Honda Accord’s Heated Steering Wheel Stay On?
Honda’s heated steering wheel will automatically turn off after about 30 minutes. You can also manually turn it off at any time.
Can I Get A Heated Steering Wheel In My 2021 Honda Cr-V?
The 2021 CR-V Touring model offers an optional heated leather-wrapped steering wheel. Lower trims do not come equipped with it.
Is It Easy To Install An Aftermarket Heated Steering Wheel Cover?
Yes, most heated steering wheel covers can be installed in 10-15 minutes. You simply slip it over your existing wheel and plug it into your car’s 12V outlet.
A factory installed heated steering wheel makes winter driving much more comfortable in the Honda Accord. While not offered in all trims, the Touring models feature this nice upgrade for anyone who hates driving with cold hands. There are also affordable aftermarket options available. Consider whether investing in heated steering could make your commute more enjoyable.
Also Read: How To Remove Trunk Liner In Honda Accord?