Puddle lights, also known as courtesy lights, are small LED lights that are installed on the bottom of automobile doors. When the doors are opened, these lights illuminate the ground below, increasing visibility. Honda Accord Puddle Lights not only improve the appearance of your vehicle, but they also serve functional purposes such as avoiding stepping into puddles when getting in or out of your vehicle at night.
Installing puddle lights on a Honda Accord is a relatively simple process that can be completed in less than an hour with basic tools. This guide will provide detailed instructions on how to choose the right puddle lights, prepare for installation, wire the lights, properly mount them, and test them. With the right information and preparation, you can install stylish and functional Honda Accord Puddle Lights on your own vehicle.
Selecting Puddle Lights For Honda Accord
The first step is choosing the right puddle lights designed specifically for the Honda Accord. Here are some factors to consider:
There are two main types of puddle lights – LED or incandescent. LED puddle lights are brighter, more energy efficient, and longer lasting than traditional incandescent bulbs. For Honda Accords, opt for LED lights.
While basic puddle lights emit white light, there are some with customized logos and designs that project light in different shapes and patterns. Choose based on your individual preference.
Determine if you want puddle lights placed on the front doors or rear doors. For optimal visibility, install them on the front doors.
Measure the area on the car doors where you want to install the lights. Choose compact lights that will fit in the limited space.
Once you select the ideal set of Honda Accord Puddle Lights, ensure you purchase a complete installation kit. This will contain all necessary components like wiring harnesses, mounting hardware and installation instructions.
Preparing For Installation
Proper preparation is crucial for a smooth puddle light installation. Follow these preparatory steps:
Disconnect the Battery
When working with electrical systems in your car, always disconnect the battery first. This prevents accidental short circuits.
Gather Tools and Supplies
You will need basic hand tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, trim removal tools, wire strippers, electrical tape, etc. Ensure you have all necessary tools ready.
Review Installation Manual
Read through the entire installation manual and get familiarized with all the steps before starting. Understanding the whole process will make installation faster.
Clean Installation Area
Use isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the door area where you will mount the puddle lights. Removing dirt and debris allows proper adhesion of mounting tape.
Test Lights Before Installing
Before permanently installing the Honda Accord Puddle Lights, test them by temporarily connecting the wires to power to ensure the lights work properly.
Step-By-Step Installation Instructions
Once you have the right puddle lights and have completed the preparatory steps, you are ready to install. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
Gain Access to the Door
The first step is gaining access to the inner door area where you will mount the puddle light housing.
- Pry off the interior door panel carefully using trim removal tools. Detach any connecting rods and linkages.
- Remove the vapor barrier sheet covering the inner door using a trim removal tool or flat head screwdriver.
- With the inner door exposed, identify the area to install puddle light. Make sure there is enough flat space.
Drill Hole for Wiring
- Determine the path for running puddle light wires into the door cavity. Mark the spot to drill the hole.
- Using a small drill bit, create a pilot hole through the sheet metal. Check that wires can pass through.
- Increase hole diameter if needed using a step-drill bit. Deburr edges smoothly.
Mount the Puddle Light Housing
- Thoroughly clean the area where puddle light will be mounted using isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry completely.
- Peel backing off the adhesive tape on puddle light housing and firmly press onto the clean door surface.
- You may use additional double-sided mounting tape for extra hold.
- Run puddle light wires from housing through the drilled hole into the door cavity.
- Locate the wiring harness with positive and negative leads. Connect accordingly to puddle light wires.
- Use wire strippers to expose wire ends. Crimp on connector tips provided in the kit.
- Wrap all wiring connections with electrical tape to prevent short circuits. Tuck away excess wire.
Adjust and Test Light
- Reinstall vapor barrier sheet and door panel temporarily.
- With doors closed, test puddle lights by turning on door switch. Adjust angle if needed.
- Turn on headlights to check illumination coverage on the ground for optimal visibility.
- Make any adjustments to light housing position or beam angle. Mark final position.
Complete the Installation
- Disconnect power and remove the door panel again to access housing.
- Apply silicone sealant around edges of puddle light housing for waterproofing and sound dampening.
- Let sealant fully cure before reinstalling door components.
- Finally, reinstall the vapor barrier sheet and inner door panel properly.
- Reconnect car battery. The Honda Accord Puddle Lights are now fully installed!
Testing And Use
Once installation is complete, test out your new Honda Accord Puddle Lights:
- Open each door to check if the puddle lights activate automatically and illuminate the ground brightly.
- With doors open, check for any loose wiring connections or gaps in lighting coverage.
- Make any final adjustments to optimize the angle and positioning of the puddle light housings.
- Test lights at night to ensure they enable safe visibility when entering or exiting the car in darkness.
The puddle lights will turn on automatically when doors are opened and enhance visibility around your Honda Accord. Make sure to replace the LED bulbs when they burn out for continued performance. Proper installation will ensure your Honda Accord Puddle Lights work reliably for years.
Can I Add Puddle Lights to My Car?
Yes, most vehicles can be retrofitted with puddle lights if they did not come with them from the factory. Puddle lights are LED or incandescent lights that are installed on the underside of automobile doors to illuminate the ground when the doors open. They attach to the door panels and connect to the existing wiring. Purchase a complete kit with lights, wiring harness, mounting hardware, and instructions for do-it-yourself installation.
Puddle lights can also be professionally installed at car dealerships, auto shops, or by mobile installers. These lights can be easily added to improve visibility and style with basic skills and tools.
How Do I Know If My Car Has Puddle Lights?
Check to see if your vehicle has lights that illuminate when the doors are opened. Puddle lights are what they’re called. To see them clearly at night, you may need to open the doors. There will be no lights on the lower edges of the doors if your vehicle did not come with factory installed puddle lights.
Puddle lighting is commonly found in newer luxury models, whereas older or base models may not. A small clear or black housing mounted at the bottom corners of the doors is an easy way to check. This would house the puddle light bulbs as well as the wiring.
Do Puddle Lights Only Come On at Night?
Puddle lights are intended to provide illumination at night, but they will also illuminate when the doors are opened during the day. The lights are activated by a door switch and lack a daylight sensor. When the doors are opened, regardless of the ambient light levels, power is supplied to the puddle light circuit.
The emitted light is more visible at night, but it also improves visibility around the car doors during the day. Some aftermarket kits may include an override switch to turn off the lights when they are not needed.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
If your newly installed puddle lights are not working correctly, here are solutions for some common problems:
Lights Not Turning On:
- Check wiring connections to power and ground. Reconnect any loose wires.
- Inspect inline fuse in wiring harness. Replace blown fuse.
- Test puddle light LED bulb in working socket. Replace if the bulb is defective.
Dim or Flickering Lights:
- Ensure constant 12V power connection. Faulty wiring can cause voltage drop.
- Check for corrosion or loose connections in ground wiring. Clean and tighten.
- LED bulbs may be defective. Replace bulbs for optimal performance.
Lights Turning Off Intermittently:
- Door switch wires may be loose. Inspect and reconnect wires.
- Adjust puddle light housing so the door contact pin presses switch firmly.
Beam Alignment Issues:
- Loosen housing adjustment screws and change beam angle as needed.
- Ensure no obstructions are blocking the light path. Reposition housing if required.
Puddle lights are a simple upgrade that instantly improves the appearance of your Honda Accord. LED lights mounted low on the doors improve visibility and add style. You can install attractive and functional Honda Accord Puddle Lights yourself using basic tools if you follow the instructions in this guide.
After installation, properly position the housing, connect the wires, seal the edges, and thoroughly test the lights. To ensure optimal performance, troubleshoot any issues that arise. Custom puddle lights illuminate the area around your car doors, allowing you to drive safely into the night.